Prefect Ghee rice / Ney choru as it is commonly called is a famous delicacy of south india and it is extremly easy to make.. It is a speciality of malabar coastal region in kerala.. Kerala is also refered to as a "LAND OF SPICES".. Each region has it delectable culinary repertory of it own..Today iam sharing kerala famous South indian wedding ney choru / Perfect ghee rice..The rice infused with ghee gives a unique taste...
The rice is roasted in ghee along with mint coriander masala and cooked with perfection and finally garnished with fried cashews, onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves.. It's pair well with any mutton or chicken recipes... I prepare this in common occasion like family gathering or parties...
So I hope that you must try this recipe and let me know how it's turns out from you...
Preparation Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 40 mins
Serve - 2 to 3
Recipe source - Yummy tummy
Recipe cuisine - South Indian
Ghee - 2 tbspn
Bay leaf - 2
Cinnamon sticks / Pattai - 2 small
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Coconut milk - 1 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Salt - as needed
FOR GRINDING :
Green chilli - 3 nos
Garlic - 3 cloves (peeled)
Ginger - 3 inch (peeled)
Coriander leaves - few
Mint leaves - few
FOR TOPPING :
Ghee - 4 tbspn
Cashew - 10 to 15 nos
Onion - 2 (sliced thinly)
Coriander leaves - a hand full
Mint leaves - a hand full
- Wash and soak the basmati rice for 30 mins.. keep aside.
- Grind the ingredients into a smooth puree, set aside..
- Take a heavy bottom kadai and add in ghee, bay leaf, cinnamon sticks and let it sizzle...
- Add in gounded masala and fry it for few sec.. and then add in soaked rice..
- It will take around 5 to 6 mins till the masala is nicely coated with rice..
- Now add in coconut milk, water, salt and mix well.
- Cover the lid and cook tyhe rice to it's perfections..
- When the rice is cooked, let make the topping..
- Heat a pan with ghee and add in cashews, fry till golden and remove it to a plate.
- Then add in onion and fry till golden as well, remove it and set aside.
- Now add in chopped coriander leaves fry golden, drain and set aside.
- Atlast ass in mint leaves, fry golden, drain set aside.
- When the rice cool a bit, now add the fried things over the rice and fluff it up..
- Serve and enjoy..
- Wash and soak the rice for good 30 mins.
- Toss the rice well along with the masala and ghee, gets dry with no water content..
- Rice nicely coated with the masala, it's takes 5 to 6 mins..
- You can cook it pressure cooker as the same method given above and put them for 1 whistle and put the whole cooker on the tawa and cook (dum) for 15 mins..
- Rice gets cooked to it's perfection...
Take measured rice in a bowl
Add in water
Wash well and soak the rice for 30 mins
Take the ingredients for grinding
Add them to ablender
Puree it till smooth
Take all the ingredients to prepare rice
Heat ghe in a pan
Add in cinnamon sticks and bay leaves
Toss it lightly
Add in masala puree
Toss it for 2 mins
Drain the rice
Add to the kadai
Mix well till the rice coated with masala
It will take around 5 to 6 mins
Now see the rice coated with masala
Add in coconut milk
And some water
Add in salt
Cover it with lid and cook
Give a mix
Now the rice ia almost done
Simmer the stove and mix well
Now the rice is done, keep aside
Take the frying ingredients
In a pan add ghee for deep frying
Add in cashews till golden
Remove it to a plate
Add sliced onion to the ghee
Toss well in the ghee
Fry till light brown
Transfer to a plate
Add in chopped coriander leaves
Remove it to a plate
Roast mint leaves in rest of the ghee
Transfer fried mint leaves to a plate
Now topping over the rice
Mix it evenly
Transfer them to a serving plate